To lose weight and remain in shape during menopause is one of the most difficult things to achieve. As you know, menopause comes with many issues, ranging from stress, hormonal fluctuations, inadequate sleep, loss of lean muscle mass, increased insulin resistance.
The daunting part is the anxiety that comes with it. At menopause, many persons are quite anxious, and probably not happy because they are already feeling old (which no one wants to feel). And often find it tiresome to undertake basic exercise routines (decreased physical activity).
The above are the reasons why you find it difficult to lose weight around menopause. In fact, what you notice around menopause is that you even gain a lot of tummy fat, because at his point, fat storage shifts from the hips and thighs to the abdomen. And this increases the risk of metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Therefore, workouts and eating habits that supports the loss of belly fat are particularly important at this stage of a woman’s life.
There are several steps which you can take to lose weight at this time; But, meanwhile, DO NOT TRY THIS…
…At menopause, many persons develop the habit of cutting down their calorie-intake drastically because they want to lose weight. This may have worked for you when you were far from menopause. But at this menopausal stage of your life, it’s a NO NO!
It’s quite tempting to try a very-low-calorie diet to lose weight quickly, this is actually the worst thing you can do to yourself. Getting old doesn’t mean you no longer need calories. Going on very-low-calorie diet can cause you loss of body/muscle mass and lead to bone loss (osteoporosis).
“Developing a balanced healthy life-style of good diets and proper exercises is your only way of losing weight during menopause.”
1) The Low-Carb Diet: Low-carb diets are excellent for weight loss, and are also able to reduce abdominal fat during menopause. However, it doesn’t need to be extremely low to produce the weight loss result you want.
There are many low-carb meal plan out there, choose anyone you like and stick to it.
Here is a detailed guide to the low-carb diet. (You may wish to check this particular diet-plan, but in case it doesn’t suit you, look out for others).
2) A Vegetarian Diet: Vegetarian and vegan diets are another diets that work wonders in terms of weight loss during menopause. A more flexible vegetarian diet that includes dairy and eggs also work well in older women.
(Still go out there to pick any vegetarian diet that you like).
3) Resistance training: with weights or bands can be extremely effective at preserving or even increasing lean muscle mass, which normally declines with hormonal changes and age. It can improve mood, promote a healthy weight and protect your muscles and bones (Increases fat loss, but reduces muscle loss).
4) Aerobic exercise (cardio): is also great for women in menopause. It reduces belly fat while preserving muscle during weight loss. Doing any of the exercises repeatedly gives better and faster positive results.
Extra tips on losing weight during menopause;
- Maintain quality rest/sleep time
- Find a way to ease off stress (very important)
- You can go for Acupuncture (if you like it)
- Practice mindful eating
- Take green tea
- Eat foods rich in soluble fiber e.g Avocado (increase insulin sensitivity, reduce appetite and effect weight loss).
Although losing weight may be your primary goal, but if you wish to keep these weight off, it’s important that you make changes you can maintain over the long term.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the secret to look and feel your absolute best during menopause and beyond.
Let’s get your responses/questions through the comment box below;
Latest posts by Francis Eze (see all)
- Detox Diets and Weight Loss: How You Can Lose 7-13kg in 12 Days with Detox Diets. - February 25, 2018
- Weight Loss: 6 Tips For Staying Positive - February 24, 2018
- Weight Loss Myths-Part Five - February 23, 2018